Thursday, December 27, 2012

Roasted Butternut Squash Coconut Soup

I try really hard to pack lunch for Jeremy in the morning before work. Eating out in NY City every day can be not only expensive but really unhealthy! Not only is packing lunch a good savings but it gives you the ability to use your lunch hour for something fun too. When he doesn't have a pre-packed lunch one of the places he loves to go is Num Pang. Its a few subway stops from his work but they have one of the best bahn mi sandwiches in the city and they also have a soup that he just loves. We unfortunately don't know the recipe (and to be honest I haven't tried it since I work in NJ). But I did find a little info online about the ingredients though! The soup was listed as Roasted Butternut Squash Coconut Soup with Basil Croutons on a few Yelp reviews so that was was where I started.


Luckily I had a few cans of coconut milk sitting in my cabinet along with some fun herb cubes (that I keep meaning to post about! sorry) and a squash to roast. What could be easier? I asked a friend to bring over a crusty loaf of french bread and got to work... Roasting squash can be done one of two ways - either half the squash and scoop out of the skin after cooking or peel and cube before hand. It can be annoying to peel squash but I find that my oxo peeler actually does a great job and then I don't have to burn my hands when its out of the oven (I have to admit I never wait long enough!) I just sort of made this up as I went along but he was pretty happy with it. It wasn't exactly the same but it was a good start... I was hoping to get a chance to taste it so I could get a bit closer. but unfortunately it looks to not be on the menu any more.


keep reading for my recipe




Butternut Squash with Coconut Milk Soup
1 large butternut squash - peeled, seeded and cubed
3 cans coconut milk
1/2 french baguette
1/2 c basil
1/4 c + 2 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves of garlic
2-4 tbsp Moroccan Vegetable Rub

1) Cover the cubed squash in 2 tbsp olive oil then cover in spice rub - Roast at 350F for 35-45 min or until soft.
2) Blend the herbs, garlic and remaining oil together into a paste.
3) Cube the bread and toss in the oil mixture then spread in a single layer on the cookie sheet. Toast at 400F - flip after 10 min.
4) Once the squashed is cook transfer into a pan with the coconut milk and use an immersion blender to smooth. This can take a few tries so that you get all of the lumps out. Add some veggie or chicken broth if soup is too thick.
5) When soup is smooth and heated serve with some croutons.

If soup is too spicy add a scoop of sour cream.