Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Wine Braised Short Ribs

I have another stove top to crock pot recipe to share! This is one of my favorite ways to make dinner in the winter when coming home is often in the dark and I often am just not in the mood to get cooking. Starting on the stove top doesn't really speed up the cooking but it helps to get some of the fat out before you braise the ribs.  This helps to decrease some of the calories though to be honest this dish is far from diet friendly. Short ribs are however a delicious choice for a hearty, dinner and can be served many different ways. I find you can't go wrong with this simple but effective herbed wine braising liquid.




I first came to love short ribs when I visited David Burke's Townhouse with a friend. I easily found some attempts at the recipe online and went from there. This is a little less complicated and that's great when you have a million errands to run every weekend! I started this dish in the afternoon before I left to go out to the gym and then enjoyed them when I finally got around to sitting on the couch.






Herbed Wine Short Ribs
2 c petite cut baby carrots
1 onion - diced
5 stalks celery - diced
4 lb short ribs
14 oz crushed tomato sauce
2 c red wine
4 bay leaves
2 tbsp parlsey 
2 sprigs rosemary
2 tbsp thyme
4 c egg noodles
 salt & pepper

1) Season the short ribs with salt and pepper then brown in a large pan.  Split into batches if necessary
2) Once all the of ribs have been browned, set aside and discard all but 2 tbsp fat.
3) Saute the onion, carrot and celery in the pan
4) Once softened, add the wine to deglaze the pan and any bits stuck
5) Add the herbs and bring to a simmer
6) Carefully pour the tomato sauce to the crock pot and add the browned ribs, top with the veggie wine - put on high and let come to a simmer for about 6 hours.
7) About 4 hours in check to see if bones will slide out and remove.
8) Before serving make egg noodles and serve short ribs on top of them.