Sunday, February 24, 2013

Beef Stew

I posted about my Moroccan Chicken Stew a while ago but now I am going to give you the other half of that fun chilly weekend. Even though the weather seems unsure of where it is going I am still up for snuggling on the sofa with a warm cup of soup. This recipe is another one that I started on the stove but finished in the crock pot. For this one I decided to head out with some friends and leave dinner at home cooking for me while I enjoyed myself!



I just crave hearty stews like this once the temperature starts to go down. There is something about a cup of soup that just warms your whole day up. Luckily I haven't started to feel the winter sniffles and coughs but if you are this is a low maintenance way to enjoy some really tasty homemade soup. This soup was inspired by a new line of organic beef that was made available at my super market and was on sale... don't need to ask me twice!





1 lb stew meat  - diced up into 1/2" cubed
3 c diced potato - peeled 
5 carrots - diced
5 stalks celery - diced
1 onion - diced
1/2 red pepper- diced 
4 cloves of garlic- minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 c flour
salt and pepper
2 c red wine
4 c beef broth
2 tbsp fresh rosemary - diced
2 tbsp fresh parsley - diced
1 tbsp - fresh sage - diced

1) In a shallow bowl combine flour with salt and pepper - coat beef cubes and then brown in a large pan with oil.
2) Remove from pan and then add carrots, celery, peppers and onions.
3) Once softened, add garlic and herbs.
4) When fragrant, add half of wine  half of broth and potato.
5) Allow to come to a simmer then add to crock pot with remaining liquid
6) Add beef cubes and broth and let simmer on high for 3-4 hrs (or simmer on stove top for about 1 hr)